Friday, February 12, 2010

 Well the time has come: My first book recommendation!!!!

  I chose this book for the obvious reason that today is Abraham Lincoln's birthday. Previously, I have fallen in the category of most Americans by hailing Lincoln as a noble and heroic individual that fought against slavery, etc. I had been taught this my whole life from public school, to christian school, and even throughout the first couple years of homeschooling. But this year was entirely different. This year I was able to study the truth  of what happened during the Civil War. This was largely due to my excellent curriculum. But then a lot of it also had to do with this amazing book. The Real Lincoln  was a real eye-opener for me. It is not written by some crazy southern fanatic with absolutely no historical evidence. This book is full of quotation after quotation ranging from Lincoln himself to southern people, to the British, and even to some radical abolitionists who realized that Lincoln's agenda was not entirely honorable. I think one of my favorite (and most disturbing) part of the book  is when Dilorenzo elaborates on the suppression of rights and the violation of the Constitution under Lincoln and his administration. I highly recommend this book to everyone who is interested in learning new things. Let me warn you though, this book is not popular since it reveals the lies of the historical revisionists. This is certainly not something that you will hear today, even in much of  the South. I would encourage anyone who is studying the civil war to at least this book before you jump to any herioc notions of the man whose birthday we celebrate today.

For more information on Lincoln, check out these blog posts:

The Myth of Racial Equality,  by Samuel Turley
The Great Emancipator,  by Jasmine Baucham



3 comments:

  1. I am currently reading this volume and do find it VERY helpful in my knowledge of Lincoln. I definitely promote this recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I haven't gotten a chance to read all of this book yet, I've heard snippets from it and am quite anxious to read it all! The saying "those who win the war, write the history" is painfully true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I'll have to check this one out. I'm from the North, so we don't really argue much when it comes to the Civil War. I've never actually heard anything bad about Lincoln, neither while studying for school nor in my informal reading. Okay, I take that back... an Alabama friend is fiercly Rebel, but she never actually said why. Just because she happened to be born in Confederate territory??? Anyway, thanks for putting in the "crazy southern fanatic" comment. That makes me a lot more likely to read the book. :)

    By the way, I awarded you on my blog. Check it out sometime if you want to participate.

    ReplyDelete